DIPLOMA IN TOURISM & RECREATION
DURATION: 4 Semesters
This course is designed to equip and develop students with the prerequisite conceptual and technical skills in planning and managing small and medium size projects.
Basically a skill and knowledge based, this course runs for two academic sessions. The first year teaches general knowledge required for the two areas or specialization that the course embraces and these have management and planning options.
During the second year, the students are required to register for additional six courses to the core courses chosen from their areas of specialization. Also, they will be expected to observe three months of internship in the tourism industry and related organizations.
- 1. Professional certificate in Tourism Management from NIHOTOUR or any Management related course passed at lower credit from a recognized institute.
- 2. GCE/SSCE/NECO with four credits which must include passes in English and Mathematics at not more than two sittings.
- 3. Holders of professional qualifications in related discipline such as IATA/UFTAA Certificate, Advanced Airfare & Ticketing Course etc.
- 4. Graduate of Nigeria Catering Schools in Benin, Enugu, Kaduna or Lagos.
|Introduction to Tourism Industry|
|Introduction to Hospitality Industry|
|Special Interest Tourism|
|Nigeria History Art and Culture|
|Communication Skills I|
|Intro to Computer Application|
|Principles of Economics|
|Sustainable Tourism Development|
|Use of French Language I|
|Introduction to Tourism Statistics|
|Tourism and Recreation Law|
|Geography of Tourism|
|Tourism Recreation Planning|
|Resort Operation Management|
|Front Office I (Accommodation Ops)|
|Tourism & Recreation Marketing|
|Recreation and Visitor Management|
|Airfares and Ticketing|
|Book keeping, Account and Software Application|
|Customer Care Service|
|Front Office II (Accom Ops)|
|Computer and ICT Application II|
|Communication Skills II|
|Use of French Language II|
- – Trainees go on industrial attachment upon completion of 2nd semester for 12 weeks before commencement of fourth semester. The trainees have a work place log book to enter daily work activity engaged upon and supervised by both work place and NIHOTOUR Supervisor.
- – Emphasis on practical exercises during lecture sessions are be given top priority.
- – Projects to be written should be entrepreneurial and or administrative in nature.