POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN TOURISM MANAGEMENT (PGDTM)
DURATION: 2 Semesters
To provide for advancement in Managerial positions and to further develop professional inclinations while preparing such for master degree programmes for capacity building in the tourism industry.
The course is professional in nature and last for a minimum of 9 calendar months. This translates to 6 month of academic works and 3 months for a written research project in the student’s area of specialization.
Candidates should posses;
- a. 5 credit passes in SSCE/GCE/NECO, O/L to include English Language, Mathematics, Geography plus other three subjects and in addition to any of the following qualifications.
- b. HND in Tourism or Hotel & Catering Management with a minimum of lower credit from any polytechnic accredited by NBTE or any other institution recognized by NIHOTOUR with at least 2 years industrial experience.
- c. Holders of HND in Tourism or Hotel Catering Management with a pass grade at least 5 and above years industrial working experience.
- d. Holders of B.A; Sc; B,.Ed, M.Sc. or M.Ed in areas of other than a, b and c, but must have at least 3 years working experience in the tourism industry.
The research work reports after being defended are expected to be forwarded to the coordinating department at the conclusion of the studies.
|Travel and tourism industry mgt|
|Hospitality industry mgt|
|Tourism Resource management|
|Leisure Recreation & event mgt|
|e-Tourism and ICT Application|
|Tourism policy, planning and admin|
|Travel business and transport Ops mgt|
|Human resource and Org Behav. Mgt|
|Industrial visits/case studies|
|Tourism admin operations and office practices|
|Tourism legislation & law|
|Tourism marketing/Customer care services|
|Tourism finance management|
|Seminar/ Project defence|
|Tourism EIA and visitor impact mgt|
|Project (Entrepreneurial/Admin mgt)|
- – Trainees go on industrial attachment upon completion of first semester for 8 weeks before commencement of second semester. The trainees should have a work place log book to enter daily work activity engaged upon and supervised by both work place and NIHOTOUR Supervisor.
- – Emphasis on practical exercises during lecture sessions should be given top priority.
- – Projects to be written should be entrepreneurial and or administrative in nature.